View Larger Map

December 3, 2012

Fugitive ex-prosecutor caught in New Mexico

James Cameron was on the run for more than two weeks before being arrested in Albuquerque.

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

More than two weeks ago, Maine's former top drug prosecutor cut off the electronic monitoring bracelet that had tracked his whereabouts for 14 months, got into his tan-colored 1999 Audi A6 and drove more than 2,000 miles to Albuquerque, N.M.

click image to enlarge

James Cameron's booking photo, from the Sandoval County Detention Center in New Mexico.

Contributed photo

click image to enlarge

The Cameron property in Echo Valley Estates in Rome, where James Cameron had been monitored by electronic bracelet until slipping it sometime between Nov. 14 and 15.

Staff file photo by Joe Phelan

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

That's where the nationwide manhunt for 50-year-old James Cameron ended Sunday morning, when federal marshals arrested him as he emerged from a bathroom at a store that specializes in the sale of books, movies, videos and video games.

U.S. marshals, who had placed the Hastings Store under surveillance, said Cameron surrendered peacefully about 11:15 a.m. He was not armed.

Cameron had been convicted of possession of child pornography in Maine. He was sentenced to more than 16 years in prison, but had been out on bail for more than a year pending an appeal. He was scheduled to return to prison.

But what led him to drive from his camp in Rome to an entertainment store in New Mexico remained a mystery Sunday night.

Federal officials clamped down on releasing any further information until an investigation into his escape by the U.S. Attorney's Office for Maine is completed.

One possibility is that the U.S. Attorney's Office might be looking into whether anyone assisted Cameron in his flight from federal authorities. An arrest warrant for Cameron was issued Nov. 15, which means he enjoyed 17 days of freedom.

"He wasn't free for all that long, especially for the effort he invested in this," U.S. Marshal Noel March said in a telephone interview Sunday night. "We worked around the clock, every day, for seven days a week. It took a tremendous amount of effort and staff resources to apprehend Mr. Cameron."

March said he could not say how Cameron financed his cross-country trip, if he had a visa, or where he was headed. Albuquerque is about 200 miles from the U.S. border with Mexico.

March did confirm that Cameron at some point changed license plates on his 1999 Audi, which he drove to New Mexico.

"U.S. marshals in Maine developed information that Cameron was in New Mexico and contacted the U.S. marshals there. Deputies in New Mexico conducted surveillance and shortly after apprehended Mr. Cameron. Cameron was exiting a Hastings Store bathroom and surrendered to U.S. marshals without incident," March said in a prepared statement.

Cameron was being held Sunday night at the Sandoval County Detention Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., where he was charged with violating the conditions of his release.

Intake workers at the New Mexico jail said Sunday night they are not told in advance when a federal prisoner will appear in court. Jail workers said Cameron is not eligible for bail.

Donald E. Clark, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Maine, said Cameron won't be returning to Maine anytime soon.

"He definitely won't be returning Monday. It could take a while to initiate the (court) proceedings in New Mexico," Clark said.

Typically, a fugitive charged with a state offense is extradited after being captured outside Maine. Clark said he was not certain if the same extradition rules will apply to a federal prisoner like Cameron.

Clark said the investigation into Cameron's escape could result in additional charges against him.

According to federal investigators, Cameron had been living at his camp in Rome when he decided to flee. They say that other than his car and laptop, he took little else with him.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

U.S. Marshals Service investigators search the residence of Barbara Cameron, the ex-wife of fugitive James Cameron, on Nov. 20 in Hallowell.

Staff file photo by Andy Molloy

click image to enlarge

The U.S. Marshals Service wanted poster for James Cameron.

Contributed photo


Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)



The daily paper delivered to your computer or tablet!

Browse page by page, including stories and ads, with interactive features that make reading a breeze from wherever you are.

Already a print subscriber?
Connect your account for continued access. Not a subscriber? Become one.

Subscriptions start at only $8/month.

Go to the e-Edition

Fast Track


Clearing the Bases - Yesterday
Pitching, pitching, pitching

More PPH Blogs

Maine's Top Jobs

LEAD TECHNICIAN Falmouth Veterinary Hospital
MS GUIDANCE COUNSELOR Gorham School Department
HOUSING SPECIALIST Elderly Affordable Housing Complex
View all Top Jobs

Purchase Photos

Find more photos >>