Thursday, April 17, 2014
AUGUSTA — A Brann Avenue home was damaged Thursday by a fire believed to have been sparked by a wood stove.
Thursday morning fire: Augusta firefighter Lars Schultz-Neilsen pulls down a section of burned garage roof on Brann Avenue in Augusta Thursday as he and other firefighters overhaul a fire-damaged garage to make sure there were no hot spots left.
Staff photo by Joe Phelan
Augusta Fire Deputy Chief David Groder said nobody was hurt in the fire that broke out shortly after 10:30 a.m., inside a two-bay garage at the intersection of Western and Brann avenues. The garage is used for an auto detailing business.
The garage is attached by a porch to a Cape Cod style home. The fire, which caused an estimated $4,000 damage, was limited to the garage, Groder said.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke showing from the building and a fire in the roof. Groder said firefighters knocked down the fire within a few minutes. He said the owner had doused the blazed with an extinguisher, “which probably kept it in check.”
The fire started where a metal chimney from a wood stove entered the wall, Groder said.
Firefighters were responding to a pair of fire alarms on Water Street when the fire broke out, Groder said. Firefighters from Togus stood by at Hartford Station on Water Street and Gardiner firefighters helped Augusta crews at the Brann Avenue fire.
“Our resources had to be split,” Groder said.