Sunday, December 8, 2013
READFIELD -- There was no truth to a report late Tuesday of a bomb scare at Readfield’s town office, where residents were casting votes.
The Maine Civil Liberties Union relayed the report to the attorney general’s office, but Readfield town employees told state officials that they knew nothing about a bomb threat.
“Nobody that I know working for the town has received anything like that,” Town Manager Stefan Pakulski said Tuesday night.
MCLU attorney Zach Heiden said he got a secondhand report that a Readfield resident arrived at the town office to vote and was told that there had been a bomb scare and to return later. That report was passed on by the attorney general's office to the Department of the Secretary of State, and the report was briefly reported Tuesday night by the Associated Press.
Heiden said he was concerned because a bomb threat and evacuation could disrupt voting and pose a threat to ballots already cast. He was glad to hear that voting had proceeded normally in Readfield.