November 26, 2012

CO exposure in Kennebunk sends 2 to hospital

Firefighters say a basement furnace was the likely cause.

The Associated Press

KENNEBUNK — Authorities say two people needed treatment at the hospital after dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide were found in their Kennebunk home.

The homeowners called 911 at about 10 a.m. on Sunday to report that their carbon monoxide detector was going off in the Old Port Road home.

Firefighters responded and tested the air in the home, finding high levels of the deadly gas. Both residents were taken to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford for evaluation.

Firefighters say a basement furnace was the likely cause.

Authorities say carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, so a detector is essential. Exposure to the gas can cause headaches, nausea and blurred vision.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)