October 16, 2013

Canadian teen’s mother says he would rather be in jail than live with father

By Doug Harlow dharlow@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Wearing a hospital gown and neck brace from injuries sustained on Tuesday, suspect Zachary Wittke is led into a Franklin County Sheriff transport vehicle following a hearing on charges of eluding police, passing a roadblock and aggravated criminal mischief.

Staff photo by David Leaming

click image to enlarge

Zachary Wittke

Staff photo by David Leaming

Related headlines

Robbins said there is no indication that the 13-year-old girl was with Wittke against her will.

Robbins said it seems the couple came to the border accidentally, possibly trying to go someplace else, panicked when they saw the border station and set off the police chase.

The station on two-lane Route 27 is small and no gate blocks the road.

Constable Chuck Benoit, media relations officer for the Ottawa Police Department, said Wednesday the investigation into the stolen vehicle in his jurisdiction remains open. Benoit said a third car may have been stolen before the teens allegedly stole the pickup truck in Kingfield, bringing the total number of stolen vehicles to four.

The crime spree started over the weekend with a stolen vehicle in Ontario. A car matching the description of the one stolen was recovered by police in Bells Corners, in southwest Ottawa, Benoit said.

A second vehicle was stolen in Ottawa, Benoit said. Police in Maine said that car, chased by Canada police, was found abandoned in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

The couple allegedly then stole another car and entered the U.S. late Monday night or early Tuesday morning in Coburn Gore, where U.S. Border Patrol agents gave chase down winding, two-lane Route 27. The fleeing car and a Border Patrol vehicle collided near Stratton, about 30 miles from the border near Eustis, and the agents fired shots at the car, which kept heading south toward Kingfield, 20 miles farther south, where they stole the pickup truck.

The chase finally ended at the bridge in Kingfield, where the teens jumped.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)