October 16, 2013

Dishwasher fire in Augusta causes $10,000 in damage


AUGUSTA — A fire that damaged a Macomber Avenue home Tuesday night started in a faulty dishwasher.

No injuries were reported in the approximately 7:50 p.m. fire, and damage was limited to about $10,000.

The residence was still livable, and the home was insured, according to Fire Chief Roger Audette.

The two-story home is owned by Green Street Methodist Church and occupied by Lynn and Judith Blackstone.

Audette said the fire started with an electrical short circuit in the dishwasher. The Blackstones were home at the time, and one of them discovered the fire, tried to put it out, and then called 911 from a cell phone from outside the home.

“She heard some popping in the kitchen, and saw flames coming out of the electrical part of the dishwasher,” Audette said.

Damage was limited to smoke damage, primarily in the kitchen.

Augusta firefighters were there for about an hour.

Three pets in the house all survived, Audette said.

The home is valued at $143,000 and was built in 1960, according to city assessing records.

Audette said there have been a number of electrical fires in Maine recently. He reminded residents of the importance of having working smoke detectors.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)