Monday, April 21, 2014
AUGUSTA — An Ellsworth man arrested last fall in connection with a burglary spree that lasted several months and spanned numerous towns was indicted Friday on 90 charges of burglary, theft and criminal mischief.
Justin L. Ross
A grand jury in Kennebec County returned the 90 count indictment against Justin L. Ross, 36, who was arrested in October after Ryan Reardon, chief deputy with the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office, said police found a stolen “mountain of merchandise” in a home at 186 Main St. in Wayne, with more stolen property found at another site in Livermore Falls.
At the time, Reardon said the burglary spree likely took place over several counties, and all the charges Friday were related to thefts in Kennebec county’s northwestern edge — Winthrop, Wayne, Mount Vernon, Fayette and Vienna.
Kennebec County District Attorney Maeghan Maloney said Ross, who has one past felony conviction, is the only one charged so far in connection with that burglary spree, which she said was motivated by drugs.
Maloney also said Ross was living in Wayne at one point.
An indictment is not a determination of guilt, but it indicates that there is enough evidence to proceed with formal charges and a trial.
A number of other people were indicted by the same session of the grand jury:
• Eric C. Anderson, 43, of Hallowell, receiving stolen property July 29, 2013, in Augusta.
• Kimberly J. Bartlett, 22, of Waterville, assault and assault on an officer Sept. 30, 2013, in Waterville.
• Clinton U. Bates, 36, of Sidney, five counts each of theft by unauthorized taking and receiving stolen property Aug. 1-Sept. 7, 2012, in Winslow.
• Star Black, 21, of Fairfield, unlawful trafficking in heroin June 18, 2013, in Augusta.
• Sammiya Butts, 24, of Bronx, N.Y., aggravated trafficking in cocaine and conspiracy to commit aggravated trafficking in crack cocaine June 19-Oct. 31, 2013, in Kennebec County.
• Daniel Omar Cole, 38, of Augusta, assault March 9, 2010, in Augusta.
• Scott Coogan, 28, of Augusta, two counts of unlawful trafficking in cocaine, June 13 and 18, 2012, in Augusta.
• Wayne Nathaniel Foster, 35, of Waterville, gross sexual assault, aggravated assault, aggravated trafficking in crack cocaine, aggravated trafficking in heroin, unlawful possession of crack cocaine and unlawful possession of cocaine hydrocholoride, Nov. 21-Dec. 12, 2013, all in Waterville.
• Israel A. Gagne, 37, of Mount Vernon, aggravated assault and domestic violence assault, both Nov. 8, 2013 in Augusta.
• Alan Goldhammer, 25, of Vassalboro, unlawful trafficking in heroin, May 3, 2013, in Augusta.
• Carol Gordon, 43, of Augusta, four counts of unlawful trafficking in cocaine, April 26-Aug. 16, 2013, all in Augusta.
• Christopher Lee Hallee, 31, of Farmingdale, burglary, theft by unauthorized taking and criminal mischief, all Aug. 26, 2013, in Vassalboro.
• Brianna M. Harger, 32, of Waldoboro, theft by unauthorized taking and violation of condition of release, both Sept. 21, 2013, in Augusta.
• Lester James Helphrey, 41, of Winthrop, violation of condition of release and two counts of violation of sex offender registration, all Jan. 24-April 24, 2013, in Winthrop.
• Mark Anthony Hilliard, 31, of Bronx, N.Y., aggravated trafficking in cocaine and conspiracy to commit aggravated trafficking in crack cocaine June 19-Oct. 31, 2013, in Kennebec County.
• Timothy A. Hogan, 35, of Waterville, aggravated trafficking in cocaine and conspiracy to commit aggravated trafficking in crack cocaine, both June 19- Oct. 31, 2013, in Kennebec County.
• Melvin H. Hubbard IV, 19, of Waterville, assault and violation of condition of release, both Dec. 6, 2013, in Waterville.
(Continued on page 2)