Sunday, December 8, 2013
AUGUSTA — Walmart was evacuated briefly Monday afternoon due to what's suspected to be a faulty fire alarm.
The Augusta Fire Department responded to an alarm at the store, in the Marketplace at Augusta off Civic Center Drive, around 4:50 p.m.
The store was evacuated for approximately 15 minutes because a fire alarm pull station was triggered, likely due to a problem with that station and not the system itself, Augusta fire Battalion Chief John Bennett said.
Bennett said firefighters "didn't find any problem whatsoever" with Walmart's system as a whole, and the company will be examining the problem.