Sunday, March 9, 2014
AUGUSTA — A former Sidney man on Tuesday formally denied charges of possession and distribution of images of children under 12 engaged in sexually explicit conduct.
Robert L. Stagge, 56, who lives in Sparks, Md., was indicted Jan. 24 by a grand jury in Kennebec County on one count of dissemination of sexually explicit materials and three counts of possession of sexually explicit materials. According to the indictment, the dissemination allegedly occurred Jan. 22-24, 2013, and the possession offenses on May 7, 2013, all in Sidney.
The indictment was sealed at the time, and he was issued a summons to appear Tuesday in Kennebec County Superior Court for arraignment.
Stagge, represented by attorney Darrick Banda, pleaded not guilty to all the charges and is free on an unsecured $1,000 bail bond.
Bail conditions ban him from unsupervised contact with children under age 16 and from using the Internet and from possessing any devices capable of accessing the Internet.
In separate hearings also in Kennebec County Superior Court on Tuesday, six people were sentenced for various offenses.
• Jason J. Bouchard, 37, Winslow, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Dec. 12, 2013, in Oakland; 12-month prison sentence, $1,536 restitution.
• George R. Christie, 22, of South Portland, operating under the influence Feb. 7, 2013, in Waterville; $500 fine, 90-day license suspension.
• Lannette M. Cloutier, 32, of Jefferson, unlawful possession of a scheduled drug Sept. 14, 2012, in Gardiner; 90-day jail sentence, all but 16 days suspended, one-year probation, $300 restitution.
• Ryan Scott Owens, 34, of Augusta, unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs May 18, 2012, in Waterville; three-year prison sentence, all suspended, two years’ probation.
• Joann C. Rittall, 43, of Augusta, theft by deception Sept. 7, 2013, in Augusta; $400 fine, $4 restitution.
• Tyrone R. Wilkins, 23, of East Stroudsburg, Pa., unlawful possession of a scheduled drug Dec. 18, 2013, in Augusta; six-month jail sentence, $400 fine.