Saturday, March 8, 2014
The Kennebec Journal newsroom in Augusta was evacuated Thursday afternoon as a precaution after a strong smell of natural gas was detected in the building.
Evacuation: Augusta Fire Department ladder trucks attend the scene of an evacuation prompted by a strong smell of gas at the Kennebec Journal offices Thursday. Maine Natural Gas said the smell came from a routine line flushing earlier in the day.
Staff photo by Adrian Crawford
Three Augusta Fire Department ladder trucks and two ambulances attended the scene at the building at 36 Anthony Ave., and about 40 employees of businesses in the building, most of them in the Kennebec Journal offices, were evacuated at around 3:55 pm. Other businesses in the building include Maine Overhead Door, Maine Security Surveillance and Advanced Industrial Solutions.
The evacuation lasted about an hour.
Maine Natural Gas said the odor was caused by the building’s gas lines being flushed earlier in the day.