Monday, December 9, 2013
By Betty Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
AUGUSTA — The Kennebec County District Attorney’s Office dismissed charges of kidnapping and criminal restraint against a Gardiner man who remains accused of two counts of aggravated assault in connection with the same incident.
The dismissal of the charges — on the basis of insufficient evidence — against David F. Dineen II, 50, came shortly before a jury was selected Thursday in the trial on the remaining counts.
The trial in Kennebec County Superior Court, expected to take three days, is set for the end of the month.
The remaining accusations say Dineen intentionally and knowingly caused serious bodily injury to his girlfriend during a two-day rampage between Oct. 11 and 13 last year in Gardiner. The woman was treated for her injuries at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta.
The woman told police she suffered two days of beatings, resulting in two broken ribs, a punctured lung and a stab wound to one of her legs, according to an affidavit filed by police Officer Allen Alexander in Kennebec County Superior Court.
She told him she and Dineen began arguing around 5 p.m. at their Highland Avenue home after he learned she had cheated on him.
The woman said Dineen threw her down two flights of stairs, and drove her and her two sons to a Bangor motel room, where the beating continued, according to Alexander’s affidavit.
She escaped with the assistance of her mother when they returned to the Gardiner area.
Dineen remains free on bail. He is represented by attorney Walter McKee.
Betty Adams — 621-5631