February 21, 2013

Lab tests turn up lungworms in Maine moose

The Associated Press

AUGUSTA — Maine health and wildlife officials are recommending that people who encounter dead wild animals to be cautious.

That advice comes after Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and University of Maine Animal Health Lab examinations turned up lungworms in moose found dead in late winter. Further investigation revealed small tapeworms that could be passed on by coyotes, foxes or domestic dogs.

Humans may become infected by ingesting eggs of the parasite picked up by contact with canid feces.

Biologists say it's likely those tapeworms have been around for years with no apparent problems.

Still, officials are recommending care in dealing with dead animals, including wearing rubber or latex gloves when field dressing game, and thoroughly cooking any wild game meat that will be consumed.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)