December 9, 2013

Nine escape early morning fire in Palmyra

Fire marshal rules accidental fire started in SUV parked next to home.

By Jesse Scardina jscardina@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

PALMYRA — Nine people escaped injury in a early morning modular home fire on U.S. Route 2 that started when a nearby vehicle caught fire.

click image to enlarge

Nine Escape: Nine people escaped injury in a early morning modular home fire on U.S. Route 2 in Palmyra that started when an SUV parkined next to the house caught fire.

Staff photo by David Leaming

click image to enlarge

SALVAGE: Inside the burned ruins of his home, Ben Martin, right, and his friend Andy Pomeroy look for salvageable items after fire destroyed the home off U.S. Route 2 in Palmyra early Monday. Pomeroy, who was staying in the home temporarily with his family, said he was awoken by the fire and helped get the five adults and four children out. He said he lost his pregnant dog, Carly, in the fire.

Staff photo by David Leaming

The home was destroyed after a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that was parked about two feet from the building caught fire about 1:30 a.m., according to homeowner Ben Martin. Martin lived at the home with his wife and their two children.

Another family who was staying at the home temporarily and sleeping in the living room were awoken by the fire in the kitchen, Martin said.

The light and sound of the flames in the kitchen woke Andy Pomeroy and his family, and they alerted the rest of the household, Martin said.

“If it weren’t for my friends, I don’t know how far the flames would have gone into the house until we realized something was wrong,” Martin said. “Our bedrooms are at the other end of the house.”

Four adults and five children made it out of the house, but the Pomeroy’s pregnant golden retriever, Carly, died in the fire.

After getting out of the house, Martin realized flames were coming from the Trailblazer, which was parked about two feet from the home.

The fire was started in the wiring harness of the engine compartment, according to Sgt. Ken Grimes of the fire marshal’s office. The fire was ruled an accident, Grimes said.

Both families are staying at Martin’s cousin’s house in Hartland. The Pomeroys were staying at the Martin’s home while in the process of moving to Augusta, Martin said.

Jesse Scardina — 861-9239jscardina@centralmaine.comTwitter: @jessescardina
Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)