January 8

Pa. police say person who shot Maine man could strike again

State police and the FBI are investigating whether the fatal shooting of Timothy Davison of Poland is connected to a shooting eight hours earlier.

By Matt Byrne mbyrne@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

On Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014, northbound vehicles on Interstate 81 pass the site in the median where Timothy "Atsi" Davison of Poland, Maine, was shot to death in a random act of violence early Saturday, Jan. 4, in south-central Pennsylvania near the Maryland state line. Davison had called 911 in Maryland and again when he crossed into Pennsylvania to say that he was being pursued and shot at by someone in a small, dark-colored pickup truck. Davison was on his way home from visiting his sister in Orlando, Fla., when he was shot. (Photo: Jenn Fitch/The Herald-Mail)

click image to enlarge

“There is stuff in the call – you know – aggressive driving, on the suspect’s part,” Hicks said.

He said that in the moments before he was killed, Davison told authorities that the truck following him was dark-colored and possibly a Ford Ranger.


The Maryland state trooper who was first on the scene of the shooting found Davison shot multiple times, including in the head, and called immediately for a helicopter to fly him to a hospital, according to tapes of communications between police.

The radio transmissions between dispatchers and state troopers in Maryland and Pennsylvania were first described by PennLive.com, the website for the Patriot News in Harrisburg, Pa.

The recordings, culled from the subscription website RadioReference.com, indicate that troopers recognized almost immediately that Davison’s injuries were not self-inflicted, and that the shooter was at large.

According to the recordings, Davison made his first call to 911 about 2:10 a.m., shortly before he crossed the Pennsylvania border, to report that he was being chased and shot at by the driver of a pickup truck.

Soon after, Davison’s sport utility vehicle was forced into the median by the driver of the pickup truck, coming to a stop about three miles over the Pennsylvania border in Antrim Township.

Twelve minutes later, a dispatcher asked for paramedics to “expedite to the scene.”

The highway was closed to traffic a few minutes later. At 2:37 a.m., a dispatcher said “there is still an active shooter in the area,” and “this is not a self-inflicted shot,” PennLive.com reported Tuesday.

Police have not disclosed how many shots were fired or what type of gun was used.

An autopsy on Davison was scheduled Monday at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest in Allentown, Pa. Results have not been released.

Davison’s funeral will be held Saturday.

Staff Writer Dennis Hoey contributed to this story.

Staff Writer Matt Byrne can be contacted at 791-6303 or at:


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)