August 21, 2013

Saw sparks small fire at Giffords Ice Cream factory in Skowhegan

By Jesse Scardina jscardina@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

SKOWHEGAN — A small fire in the attic of Gifford's Famous Ice Cream's factory building, sparked by a saw being used to renovate the roof, was extinguished by fire crews this afternoon.

A call went into Skowhegan Fire Department at 12:25 p.m. for a fire at Gifford's on Hathaway Road, according to Captain Mike Savage.

Sparks from the saw set fire to debris in the attic, Savage said, and employees of Gifford's helped control the flames until fire crews arrived.

"Some of the employees had a garden hose in the building and used that to keep the flames from spreading," Savage said.

No one was injured, although one Gifford's employee was checked for smoke inhalation and one firefighter was checked for dehydration. An intern who answered the phone at Gifford's said the employee is OK.

The fire was under control by 12:48 p.m. and the ice cream shop was closed for about an hour.

Jesse Scardina — 861-9239
jscardina@mainetoday.com

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)