November 18, 2013

Solon fire ruled accidental

Fire marshal says fire possibly caused by faulty heat tape

Staff Report

SOLON — Officials said a fire that destroyed an unoccupied seasonal cabin was likely caused by faulty heat tape wrapped around pipes.

The fire has been ruled accidental, said Sgt. Ken Grimes of the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

The Ironbound Pond Road cabin was destroyed by the time firefighters arrived at the scene on Nov. 9.

The fire at the isolated cabin was reported by a neighbor at 4:21 p.m. Fire crews from Solon and Athens were at the scene by 4:45 p.m. and were there for about two and a half hours.

Nobody was home at the time of the fire, and members of a Massachusetts family that owned the cabin, hadn’t visited there in over a month.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)