Saturday, March 8, 2014
By Betty Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
Former Chelsea Selectwoman Carole Swan, convicted Friday of tax and workers’ compensation fraud, faces another trial in federal court in early September, this time on extortion charges.
Staff photo by Betty Adams
Swan, 55, is accused of extorting money on three occasions between January 2010 and February 2011 from Frank Monroe, a Whitefield contractor who had contracts to plow, salt and sand Chelsea roads. Swan is accused of violating the Hobbs Act — extortion under color of official right, which addresses public officials using their office to extort money.
Those charges were separated from the others after Swan, through attorney Leonard Sharon, said she wanted to testify in her own defense on some charges, but not on others.
Ultimately she took the stand in the fraud trial, spending two days on the witness stand.
On Wednesday, U.S. District Court Chief Judge John A. Woodcock Jr. ordered a Sept. 4 jury selection in the extortion case, with the trial specially set to begin 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10, in Bangor.
Woodcock denied Sharon’s request to get a continuance until October. Sharon said Swan’s three-week trial on fraud charges forced him to obtain postponements in his cases in state court, and he expected two of those cases to go to trial in September.
In a written request to the judge, Sharon said, “Additionally, the recent trial received an exorbitant amount of media attention. The extra month will allow the memory of the first trial to recede from the minds of potential jurors.”
The prosecutor, Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald Clark, objected to the continuance.
In a filing last month in U.S. District Court in Bangor, Clark summarized the extortion evidence.
He noted that Swan was an elected member of the selectboard in Chelsea from 1992-2011, and allegedly sought to extort $10,000 from Monroe in January 2011 by “asking him to submit a fictitious and inflated invoice for road sand to Chelsea.”
According to an affidavit by Detective David Bucknam of the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office, Swan told Monroe to bill the town “for 1,766 yards of sand at $12.50 per yard for a total sum of $22,075, even though the contractor had only delivered 528 yards of sand and to kickback $10,000 of the overpayment to her.”
Monroe reported the demand to sheriff’s deputies on Jan. 31, 2011, and deputies arranged for phone calls between Monroe and Swan to be recorded.
Excerpts of those calls were played for the jury during Swan’s recent trial.
In one call, Swan told Monroe to fax the bill to the town so a check could be cut that day.
Because of an intervening snowstorm, Monroe picked up the check from Swan’s home mailbox several days later, met the deputies, and exchanged it for a sting package containing $450 in singles made up to look like $10,000.
Monroe’s and Swan’s trucks were photographed stopped side by side on Chapel Street in Augusta Feb. 3, 2011, as he tossed the package into her vehicle. That photo too was shown at Swan’s trial.
Deputies almost immediately confronted Swan in a nearby parking lot, demanding the money, and she gave it to them.
Swan agreed to be interviewed at the sheriff’s office, about two blocks away, and the interview was videotaped.
She told them she expected to get money from Monroe, had previously received $7,000 from him, and had a psychological problem and needed counseling, and said she received “$25,000 to $30,000 over the years for ‘greasing the wheels.’”
On the witness stand last week, Swan said much of what she told deputies that day were lies. Portions of her interview were played for jurors as well.
(Continued on page 2)