December 11, 2013

Timeline: Ayla Reynolds disappearance

(Continued from page 1)

Earlier that day, police announce that blood was found at 29 Violette Ave. during the December search. Shortly after the announcement, DiPietro and Reynolds appear together at a third vigil in Waterville. It is the first time they have seen each other since Ayla disappeared.

Jan 29, 2012

McCausland confirms that the blood found in the Violette Avenue home is Ayla’s.

Feb. 3, 2012
State police and Warden Service dive teams return to the Kennebec River and Messalonskee Stream. At a news conference, McCausland says police need more tips.

At 11:15 p.m., Phoebe DiPietro calls 911 to report vandalism at her home after two windows are shattered from the outside. No suspects were immediately found.

Feb. 13, 2012

Augusta attorney Steve Bourget announces he has been representing Phoebe and Elisha DiPietro since early January and they have no idea what happened to Ayla.

In Portland, Ayla’s maternal family announces that state police told them Justin DiPietro bought a life insurance policy on his daughter shortly after she was under his care.

Waterville police summon Jeremy Hanson, 19, of Clinton on a charge of vandalizing the DiPietro home on Feb. 3.

Feb. 28, 2012
DiPietro and supporters, the Tudela family, in an interview with the Morning Sentinel, contend that a kidnapping is plausible, despite contrary claims by state police. DiPietro said there are good reasons to believe Ayla was kidnapped, but wouldn’t say what they were.

March 3, 2012

Phoebe DiPietro, speaks at the fourth vigil of about 100 people in Waterville’s Castonguay Square. DiPietro does not attend  because of threats against him.

March 18, 2012

Ayla’s stepgrandfather, Jeff Hanson, launches, a blog that purports to have inside information from state police. The blog contends investigators found more than a cup of blood in the basement at 29 Violette Ave., but police won’t confirm that.

March 24, 2012
More than 100 searchers scour areas of Waterville, Oakland, Fairfield and Norridgewock. Searchers discover the remains of Steven C. Brandon of Waterville, who was missing since February 2004, but find no clues of Ayla.

At a news conference, McCausland asks residents in greater Kennebec County to search their property for signs of the missing toddler. He also says communication between Ayla’s paternal family and investigators has “basically stopped.” Bourget says that is untrue of his clients.

McCausland says state police, Waterville police and the Warden Service have spent about $100,000 in overtime pay during the investigation. Police Chief Joseph Massey later estimate the cost of the investigation could be as high as $500,000.

March 28, 2012

Justin, Elisha and Phoebe DiPietro tell the Morning Sentinel that communication has stopped because investigators won’t answer their questions.

March 29, 2012

Reynolds tells the Associated Press Ayla needed constant attention. She wonders whether DiPietro may have been frustrated by her.

April 4, 2012

Ayla’s maternal family calls for people across Maine and beyond to search their property on Ayla’s second birthday. The family calls it a Gift for Ayla. They also organize a vigil in downtown Portland; more than 100 people attend.

April 19, 2012

Family, friends and community members attend a prayer vigil for Ayla at the Church of God in Waterville, which was organized by her uncle, Lance DiPietro. The three adults who were with Ayla on Dec. 16 — Justin DiPietro, Elisha DiPietro and Courtney Roberts — attend the vigil. News cameras and most reporters are not allowed to attend.

April 25, 2012
Police recover items from the Kennebec River. McCausland says investigators don’t know if the items, brought to the state crime lab, are related to Ayla.

May 5, 2012
At a walk to raise awareness about Ayla, Elisha DiPietro tells a Morning Sentinel reporter that she took a polygraph exam and “did fine,” but wouldn’t say if she passed. McCausland won’t confirm whether she took an exam.

May 8, 2012
Police drain a diversion channel of a Waterville dam to search for evidence. McCausland said some items were removed from the scene by detectives and sent to the crime lab for processing as potential evidence.

May 18, 2012
Reynolds says police told her the items retrieved from the Kennebec River on May 8 are unrelated to the case.

May 31, 2012
Maine State Police and Waterville Police say at a press conference Ayla is likely dead.

(Continued on page 3)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)