Tuesday, December 10, 2013
AUGUSTA — Two 19-year-old men, one from New York and the other from Pennsylvania, were indicted Friday by a Kennebec County grand jury on charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault and terrorizing.
The two, Eugene R. Charleston, of Manhattan, N.Y., and Ricardo David Perry, of Lancaster, Pa., are accused of keeping 23-year-old Ryan J. Partridge overnight inside a Chelsea home, beating him with a gun and threatening to slash him with a knife.
Maine State Police, who investigated the July 17 incident, reported that Partridge was being held by the men in response to their allegedly being robbed of $25,000 by another person.
The alleged victim told police he knew the other men from “doing drugs.”
Charleston and Perry remain in custody.
In a separate case, Robert A. Robinson Jr., 45, of Chelsea, was charged in a superseding indictment with violation of a protective order.
He allegedly had contact with Jessica Ruiz, who is listed as a victim of previous domestic violence by Robinson. The indictment says the violation of a court order occurred between April 20 and May 22 in Augusta. This indictment is in addition to one from July which charges Robinson with tampering with a victim, again Ruiz, and violation of conditions of release between April 13 and May 22 in Augusta.
Ruiz was arrested last month at the request of the prosecutor and jailed overnight as a material witness. The Kennebec County District Attorney’s Office had sought a warrant for Ruiz’s arrest, saying there were indications Ruiz might not come to testify at Robinson’s pending trial.
That trial was delayed, and Robinson remains in jail.
Ruiz remains free on bail with conditions that she testify at his trial.
An indictment is not a determination of guilt, but it indicates that there is enough evidence to proceed with formal charges and a trial. The following indictments were handed up by the grand jury:
• Clinton U. Bates, 36, of Sidney, two counts of receiving stolen property June 18, 2012, in Oakland.
• Alec O. Bryan, 22, of Waterville, and Gage Tucker Wells, 19, of Alexander, robbery, burglary and theft by unauthorized taking July 23 in Waterville.
• Darrick J. Delile, 34, of Winslow, two counts each of aggravated trafficking in scheduled drugs, one count of unlawful possession of cocaine hydrochloride and criminal forfeiture of $5,300 in currency, all June 12 in Winslow.
• Richard E. Gilley, 31, of Waterville, violation of condition of release July 24 in Augusta.
• Scott F. Grant, 31, of Augusta, escape and violation of condition of release May 30, and four other counts of violation of condition of release Sept. 7-17, all in Augusta.
• Justin Michael Kingsbury, 26, of Readfield, burglary and theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Aug. 9 in Augusta.
• Christopher Paul Lord, 39, of Augusta, assault, criminal threatening and criminal mischief Aug. 28 in Augusta.
• Maxwell J. Pass, 28, of Vassalboro, criminal operating under the influence and operating beyond license condition or restriction July 26 in Rome.
• Joseph R. Stevens, 29, of Augusta, operating after revocation March 12 in Augusta.
• Brian K. Wilson, 49, of Chelsea, two counts of violation of condition of release July 18-26 in Augusta.
• Shane Leslie Wood, 46, of Vassalboro, assault March 2 in Vassalboro.