Thursday, April 17, 2014
By Betty Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
AUGUSTA — A Waterville resident charged with arson after allegedly burning the outer wall of a South End garage May 5 while setting off fireworks pleaded guilty instead to a charge of failure to control or report a dangerous fire.
Donald Paul Fencik, 63, of Waterville, pleaded guilty in Kennebec County Superior Court on Tuesday to that charge as well as to charges of operating after habitual offender revocation, operating under the influence, criminal threatening and two counts of violating condition of release, all occurring between May 5 and July 17 in Waterville.
He was sentenced to four years in jail, with all but 195 days suspended and two years’ probation. Fencik was fined $1,900 and ordered to pay $732.24 restitution. His license and registration were suspended for three years.
A number of other people were sentenced this week in separate hearings in Kennebec County Superior Court:
• Renee L. Belisle, 31, of Augusta and Benton, theft by deception Nov. 2, 2012, in Augusta; $582.34 restitution.
• Marc H. Courtemanche Jr., 36, of Athens, unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs April 11, 2011, in Waterville, five year prison sentence, all but nine months suspended, two years probation.
• Joshua Dean Elliott, 32, of Winslow and Fairfield, three counts of theft by receiving stolen property, two counts of aggravated trafficking of scheduled drug, two counts of violating conditions of release, July 17, 2012-Jan. 14, 2013, in Waterville and Winslow.
• Kevin Fontnette, 52, of Augusta, criminal mischief, Oct. 15, 2013, in Augusta; 90 day jail sentence.
• Elaina Gaudet, 30, of Sidney, acquiring drugs by deception July 19, 2010, in Gardiner; three year jail sentence, all suspended, two years’ probation, $400 fine.
• Gary W. Joslyn Jr., 38, of Wiscasset, unlawful possession of scheduled drug Nov. 26, 2013, in Augusta; two year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years probation, $400 fine.
• Dwayne Levasseur, 42, of Benton, domestic violence assault and two counts of violating conditions of release Oct. 11-Nov. 4, 2013; five year prison sentence, all suspended, two years probation, consecutive to a 20 month probation revocation.
• Rachel Rogers, 32, of Waterville, criminal mischief Oct. 22, 2013, in Litchfield; 60 day jail sentence.
• James H. Simonson, 53, of Clinton, unlawful possession of scheduled drugs Oct. 14, 2011, in Clinton; two year jail sentence, all but 20 days suspended, two years probation, $400 fine.
• Simon Cade West, 26, of Winslow, operating under the influence Oct. 19, 2013, and operating under the influence, refusing to submit to arrest and violating condition of release Nov. 3, 2013, in Waterville; five year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years probation, $1,100 fine, six year license and registration suspension.Betty Adams — 621-5631 email@example.com Twitter: @betadams