Friday, March 7, 2014
WATERVILLE — The man who was carrying a rifle near the Two-Cent Bridge Monday night called police Tuesday morning and was not considered a threat to public safety, according to police.
The 29-year-old man, whose name was not released because he did not commit a crime, called the Waterville Police Department Tuesday morning after he saw news reports of the incident, said Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey. The man said that he was the subject of the search and that he wanted to clear things up, Rumsey said.
The man said that he was carrying an unloaded, single-shot .22-caliber rifle with the bolt removed and walking from his mother’s home in Winslow to his girlfriend’s residence in Waterville, Rumsey said. Based on what he told police, the man was not a threat, Rumsey said.
Officers from Waterville, Winslow and the Kennebec Sheriff’s Office searched for about an hour and a half Monday evening for a man carrying a rifle near the Two-Cent Bridge.
The search was suspended about 6:30 p.m. after the officers completed a search of the area, according to Sgt. Alden Weigelt of the Waterville Police Department. If a crime had been committed, the police would have continued the investigation, he said.
The report was credible because it came from two different callers, one in Winslow and another in Waterville, Weigelt said.