December 26, 2013

Whitefield couple improving after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The couple, who remained hospitalized Thursday, had a generator in a garage attached to their Heath Road home.

By Paul Koenig pkoenig@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

The Whitefield couple who suffered suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on Christmas remain hospitalized Thursday, but their health is improving, according to the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department.

Lt. Rand Maker said he spoke with the family of the couple on Thursday.

A neighbor went to the couple’s Heath Road home Wednesday to check on them and found them unconscious, Maker said.

The man, 83, was transported by helicopter to a hospital with what Maker described as potentially life-threatening injuries. Despite a previous story saying the man was taken MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta, Maker said he doesn’t know where the man was transported or where his is located.

He said the woman, 84, was taken to the Augusta hospital by ambulance.

No other information on the couple was available.

Emergency responders from the sheriff’s department and the Whitefield Fire Department found a generator in an attached garage, which was directly beneath a part of the residential home, according to Maker.

He said it was another example of the importance of keeping generators outdoors, where the carbon monoxide fumes have a chance to dissipate.

A man in Knox was killed Tuesday morning while refueling a generator in his garage.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that generators should never be used inside a home, basement, garage or outside near an open window. More than 400 people die in the U.S. every year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the CDC.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)