December 26, 2013

Whitefield couple rushed to Augusta hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Police say a generator was running in the attached garage of their home.

By Matt Hongoltz-Hetling mhhetling@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

WHITEFIELD — A couple was rushed to the hospital Wednesday with carbon monoxide poisoning.

A neighbor went to the couple’s Heath Road home to check on them and found them unconscious, according to Lt. Rand Maker of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department.

The man, 83, was taken by helicopter to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta, with what Maker described as potentially life-threatening injuries.

The woman, 84, was taken to the same hospital by ambulance.

No other information on the couple was avaiable.

Maker said emergency responders from the sheriff’s department and the Whitefield Fire Department found a generator in an attached garage, which was directly beneath a part of the residential home.

Maker said it was another example of the importance of keeping generators outdoors, where the carbon monoxide fumes have a chance to dissipate.

A man in Knox was killed Tuesday morning while refueling a generator in his garage on Christmas Eve.

Matt Hongoltz-Hetling — 861-9287 mhhetling@centralmaine.com Twitter: @hh_matt
Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)