February 4, 2013

Winslow, Benton snowmobiliers among weekend spate of vehicles going through ice

Warden service urges caution, common sense


Winslow and Benton men were among those whose vehicles went through the ice in eight weekend incidents, according to a press release from the Maine Warden Service.

No one was killed, but the warden service reminded people to be cautious and use common sense.

Raymond Buker, 21, of Winslow, and Adam Lee, 34, of Benton, both made it to safety Saturday night after their snowmobiles went through the ice on Big Wood Lake in Jackman around 6:45 p.m. Saturday. The snowmobiles remain in the water.

Also over the weekend:

On Moosehead Lake, near Big Moose Township, at 8:45 a.m. Saturday, wardens were called after an ATV carrying two passengers went underwater in an opening created by a pressure ridge, according the press release. James Doucette, 45, of Bangor, and Jay Munson, 44, of Orrington, made it out of the water with the help of nearby fisherman. The ATV remains in the water.

On Green Lake, in Ellsworth, at 10:20 a.m., Saturday, a snowmobile went through the ice near Scott’s Neck on Green Lake. Christopher Duplessis, from New Hampshire, was on a 2000 Arctic Cat 340 when he went through the ice. Duplessis was able to make it out of the ice to safety. The snowmobile was submerged in eight feet of water and was removed the following day.

On Schoodic Lake, in Lakeview, at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, an ATV operating by a man, and another operated by a man with a 3-year-old passenger, went through the ice. The man and 3-year-old jumped to safe ice, according to the press release, and did not go into the water. The other man went under, but was able to get out. No names were availble. None of the three were injured. Both ATVs remain in the water.

At Sebasticook Lake, in Newport, at at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, a six-passenger ATV operated by Owen Cooper, 57, of Newport, carrying four other people, went through the ice. All five made it to safety with the help of bystanders. The ATV is still in the water.

At Long Lake in Naples, 9:30 a.m., Sunday, a truck driven by Robert Allen II, 40, of Naples, went through the ice into about two feet of water. The truck was towed out shortly thereafter.

And on Long Pond in Southwest Harbor, at 1:30 a.m. Monday, a truck driven by Micea Novac, 25, of Southwest Harbor, drove into open water. Novac and a female passenger got out of the truck and made it to a nearby camp, according to the press release. Long Pond is a public water supply and Novac is working with the park service to get the truck out of the water.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)