Sunday, March 9, 2014
AUGUSTA -- A city man was sentenced Wednesday to serve an initial three years behind bars for robbing the Rite Aid pharmacy in Winthrop a year ago.
Anthony R. Caballes-Mabe
Anthony R. Caballes-Mabe, 19, of Augusta, pleaded guilty in Kennebec County Superior Court to the robbery and to stealing oxycodone from the pharmacy.
The full sentence imposed was eight years in prison, with all but the initial three years suspended, and three years of probation. He also was fined $400. Conditions of probation ban him from returning to the pharmacy.
Police investigating the robbery found white-rimmed sunglasses that had been worn by the robber -- something customers who witnessed the robbery described as odd because it was dark and rainy -- and pill bottles found discarded between the Rite Aid store and Metcalf Road. Also, an anonymous caller told Winthrop police that Caballes-Mabe had committed the robbery, according to a court affidavit by Winthrop Detective Peter A. Struck.
At the same hearing Wednesday, Caballes-Mabe, who had moved recently to Augusta from Randolph, pleaded guilty to unlawful possession of scheduled drugs, which occurred on Sept. 11 in Augusta.
Caballes-Mabe was ordered to report to jail by 4 p.m. today to begin his jail sentence.
Several other people were sentenced in separate cases heard Wednesday and Thursday in Kennebec County Superior Court:
* Benjamin K. Chabot, 25, of Farmingdale, burglary and theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Sept. 6 in Augusta; one-year jail sentence concurrent to a probation revocation, restitution up to $500.
* Clifford Dumont, 20, of Waterville, two counts of assault and one count of aggravated criminal trespass Oct. 22 in Waterville; five-year prison sentence, with all but two years suspended, and two years of probation, $50 restitution. A charge of robbery stemming from the same incident was dismissed.
* Gary W. Hall Jr., 27, of Augusta, operating after habitual-offender revocation and violating conditions of release Oct. 16 in Augusta; six-month jail sentence, $1,000 fine.
* Nathan J. Hansell, 31, of Augusta, burglary, criminal attempt and possession or transfer of burglar's tools Sept. 20, 2011, in Fayette; five-year prison sentence, with all but two years suspended, and two years of probation.
* Gregory J. Lelansky, 61, of Manchester, failing to make oral or written accident report July 1, 2011, in Hallowell; $1,000 fine.
* Ralph A. Mosher IV, 24, of Litchfield, burglary, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and criminal mischief Nov. 6 and criminal mischief and violating conditions of release Oct. 6, all in Augusta; nine-month jail sentence concurrent to a nine-month probation revocation, $378 restitution.
* Jeremy Neilsen, 36, of South China, criminal trespass Aug. 6 in Winslow; six-month jail sentence concurrent to a probation revocation.
* Justin L. Ross, 35, of Wilton, escape Sept. 3 in Hallowell; six-month jail sentence.
* Richard J. Small, 54, of Winthrop operating under the influence June 2 in Winthrop; 96-hour jail sentence to be served in the alternative sentencing program; $1,000 fine, 90-day license suspension.
* Chad M. Whitten, 30, of Manchester, operating while license suspended or revoked Aug. 11 in Augusta; 20-day jail sentence to be served in the alternative sentencing program, $500 fine
* Christopher Williams, 21, of Augusta, unlawful possession of a scheduled drug Sept. 12 in Augusta; 90-day jail sentence concurrent with a probation revocation, $400 fine.
* Jason C. Woodward, 44, of Vassalboro, operating under the influence March 29 in West Gardiner; 364-day jail sentence, with all but 30 days suspended, to be served in the alternative sentencing program, $1,000 fine, three-year license and registration suspension.
Betty Adams -- 621-5631