Thursday, April 24, 2014
AUGUSTA -- A city woman originally indicted on a robbery charge in connection with a home invasion has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon.
Heather M. Young, 26, of Augusta, was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison with all but one year suspended and two years of probation.
Young was arrested and charged by Augusta police shortly after a Nov. 17 home invasion at a Northern Avenue apartment, during which she reportedly threatened another woman with a gun.
Police stopped the car in which Young was riding about 10 minutes after the robbery. Police reportedly found the gun while searching the car.
The driver was charged with operating after suspension and another passenger was arrested on a warrant and charged with drug possession, but only Young was charged with robbery. The robbery charge was later dismissed in exchange for the guilty plea to the lesser charge.
District Attorney Maeghan Maloney said the parties involved had conflicting stories about what happened.
A condition of probation bans Young from contact with the woman identified as the victim.
Several other people were sentenced in separate hearings Tuesday in Kennebec County Superior Court:
* Prince K. Benjamin, 27 of Kennebunk and Biddeford, two counts of domestic violence assault May 28 and one count of violating conditions of release Oct. 17, all in Waterville; 364 day jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years of probation.
* Keegan S. Brooks, 19, of Augusta, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and criminal mischief Nov. 6 in Augusta; 90 day jail sentence, $200 fine.
* Randy Brown, 37, of Benton, criminal trespass and criminal mischief Dec. 14, in Waterville; $300 fine, $50 restitution.
* Diane F. Diaz, 24, of Waterville, domestic violence assault and violating conditions of release Nov. 12, in Waterville; four year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years of probation.
* Jonathan T. Flood, 22, of Farmingdale, illegal possession of a firearm and aggravated trafficking of scheduled drugs Sept. 20 in Augusta; three year jail sentence, with all but 90 days suspended, two years of probation; $220 restitution.
* Scott A. Gagnon, 42, of Mattawamkeag, operating after habitual offender revocation and violating condition of release Sept. 8, in Gardiner; two year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years of probation, $1,000 fine.
* Kristen Jordan, 41, of Waterville operating after habitual offender revocation Aug. 8, in Oakland; three year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years of probation, $1,000 fine.
* Terry V. Johnson, 54, of Litchfield, unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs and criminal forfeiture of $6,200, both Oct. 20, 2011, in Litchfield; four year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years of probation, $400 fine.
* Taggert Emerson Martin III, 21, of Waterville, disorderly conduct, loud noise, private place Sept. 17, 2011; $750 fine.
* Errol Mason, 46, of West Gardiner, unlawful possession of scheduled drug Aug. 12, in West Gardiner; $750 fine.
* Jamie L. Millett, 23, of Fairfield Center and Belgrade, two counts each of burglary and burglary of a motor vehicle and four counts of theft by unauthorized taking between Sept. 26, 2011 and Feb. 17, all in Oakland; four year jail sentence, all but 90 days suspended, three years of probation, $3,409 restitution, $400 fine.
* Joshua M. Thebarge, 28, of Oakland, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer June 27; two year prison sentence, $100 restitution.