March 10, 2012

Details about ski accident come to light

In report, police say wife asked to be let out of ambulance

CARRABASSETT VALLEY -- When David Morse, injured in a ski accident, died en route to the hospital in January, the ambulance returned to the ski resort rather than fight through a snowstorm to Franklin Memorial Hospital 45 miles away, according to new details released by the Carrabasett Valley Police Department.

The new details include the sequence of events leading up to when Morse skied off a trail and hit a tree about 3:45 p.m. on Jan. 12, and continues until after Morse, 41, of Harmony, Nova Scotia, died en route to the hospital shortly after 5 p.m.

Emergency responders told police Morse was already losing signs of life as he was loaded into the ambulance, and a ski patrol member drove it, with Morse's wife in the front seat, as the ambulance crew worked on Morse in the back.

Police said Morse's wife, Dana Morse, asked to be let out of the ambulance less than a mile into the trip.

The state office that oversees emergency medical services is looking into allegations by Morse's wife, Dana Morse, that the NorthStar ambulance crew that treated her husband after the accident did not care for him properly.

The Carrabassett Valley police investigation ruled the death accidental. Their investigation does not look into medical treatment issues.

Jay Bradshaw, director of Maine Emergency Medical Services, a division of the state Department of Public Safety, which is investigating the circumstances surrounding Morse's death, would not discuss the police report, saying privacy laws prevented him from commenting on specific details under investigation. Earlier this week, Bradshaw said the state office dismissed the cases against two of the NorthStar service providers who responded to the incident and did not participate in the patient care.

Dana Morse told the Chronicle Herald in Halifax, Nova Scotia, that the ambulance crew didn't provide proper medical care to her husband. She is a nurse practitioner, according to the newspaper. She also told the newspaper that the ambulance crew left her by the side of the road about three-tenths of a mile into the journey to the hospital, but police said this week emergency responders told them the skier's wife asked to be let out.

Morse did not return a message left on her answering machine seeking comment on the police report. On Monday, she said the state office is keeping her updated on its investigation.


New details

Carrabassett Valley police officers James D. King and Vicki M. Gardner compiled the report through interviews with emergency responders, witnesses to the skiing accident and several other people who were at the scene that day. The sequence of events of the emergency response was also drawn up by descriptions from two officers, dispatch records and the police incident report.

The town police department is also a contracted security force for Sugarloaf. There is an emergency dispatch center that serves the community and Sugarloaf as part of the relationship between the town government and resort.

According to the report, Dana Morse told police her husband was in good health and a very good intermediate skier. The couple took a ski lesson in the morning and they ate lunch at their condo, and her husband went out to ski again at 2:30 p.m.

She said it was the fifth day of their ski vacation, the last run of the day and fresh powder had fallen throughout the day, all of which could have contributed to the accident.

She said her husband did not drink alcohol that day and was going out to practice on the fresh snow when the accident happened.

He had gone out skiing that afternoon with their son, two friends from Nova Scotia and their son. According to the report, one man split from the group and headed down the intermediate Timberline Trail.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)