October 15, 2012

Fairfield man rescued from fire

By Matt Hongoltz-Hetling mhhetling@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

FAIRFIELD -- Officers rescued a man with a prosthetic leg from his burning home on Military Avenue on Monday.

click image to enlarge

Tenant Jeff Macklin is escorted away from his burning home by Fairfield police officer Karen O'Donnell as firefighters enter the building on Military Avenue on Monday. Officer Jacob Pierce, background, entered the home and got Macklin out of the house.

Staff photo by David Leaming

The fire was contained to the attic, according to Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford.

"It was a good quick stop by our guys," Bickford said, adding that the presumed cause of the blaze was a problem in the electrical system.

Police Officer Jacob Pierce was the first responder to the scene, arriving shortly after the call went out at 12:44 p.m.

Pierce said smoke was coming from the upper level of the building when he arrived, and a neighbor was holding the front door of the house open.

The resident, Jeff Macklin, initially refused to leave the home, which he rented from his sister, PIerce said. Macklin told Pierce the only problem was the smoke billowing from each end of the attic.

Macklin eventually was escorted outside by Pierce, fellow officer Karen O'Donnell and Capt. Michael Murphy of the Fire Department.

Pierce deflected suggestions that his actions were heroic, and said instead that it was "all in a day's work."

Macklin, visibly upset, stood outside for more than an hour as emergency officials from Fairfield, Waterville and Winslow doused the flames.

About 1 p.m., June Hamlin, the house owner and Macklin's sister, arrived and offered comfort to her brother.

Hamlin said she learned of the fire when she was driving by the neighborhood and noticed emergency vehicles outside the property.

She said she has owned the home since 1971 and that all of her brother's belongings were inside.

The house was insured, according to Hamlin.

The fire appeared out by 1:30 p.m. and emergency officials left the property at 2:30 p.m., according to Bickford.

Matt Hongoltz-Hetling -- 861-9287



Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)