Friday, December 6, 2013
BY DOUG HARLOW Staff Writer
SKOWHEGAN -- A Canaan man was indicted Friday by a Somerset County grand jury on robbery and aggravated assault charges stemming from a July 20 incident in Hartland.
Michael A. Hurd, 30, of Slate Drive, Canaan, is charged with using force and "manifesting extreme indifference to human life" in an alleged attack on a woman.
The robbery charge is a Class A felony, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The aggravated assault charge is a Class B felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
Hurd also is charged criminal threatening, domestic violence assault, violation of bail and criminal restraint, allegedly involving the same female victim on the same date, according to court documents. He also is charged by the grand jury with another count of domestic violence assault in St. Albans on July 10.
An indictment is not a finding of guilt, but a conclusion by the grand jury that there is enough evidence against a defendant to proceed with a trial in Superior Court.
Others indicted by the grand jury are:
* Steven J. Savio Jr., 19, of Skowhegan, charged with the dissemination of sexually explicit material. The grand jury alleges that Savio had material depicting a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct April 1 in Skowhegan. Acting District Attorney Alan Kelley said the charge was later dismissed because the photo did not show what was purported.
* Zachary A. Dunning, 19, of Alna, charged with gross sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact July 3 in Caratunk. The alleged victim in the case is someone who was under the age of 14, according to court documents. The sexual assault is a Class A felony, the sexual contact charge is a Class B felony.
* Robert J. Vicino, 55, of Lewiston, charged with gross sexual assault, violating a protection order, assault, criminal threatening with use of a knife and obstructing the report of a crime. The grand jury alleges that on June 17 in Skowhegan, Vicino engaged in a sexual act with someone who was unconscious or otherwise physically incapable of resisting and had not consented to the sexual act. Vicino was also convicted of assault in 2007 and 2009, according to court documents.
* Baraka Oyuru, 37, of Portland, charged with operating after revocation, violation of bail, and improper attachments of plates, Aug. 13 in Fairfield.
* David Portigue, 50, of South China, charged with aggravated operating after revocation, operating under the influence and operating after revocation, July 17 in Fairfield.
* Curtis Moody, 43, of Farmington, charged with four counts of violation of bail in June and July in Madison.
* Henry Murdoch, 46, of Dexter, charged with passing a roadblock, eluding a police officer, driving to endanger, and criminal speed, June 3 in Hartland.
* Eric Bussell, 44, of Mercer, charged with criminal threatening, June 30 in Solon.
* Douglas Ladd, 31, of Mercer, charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, June 30 in Madison.
* Wyatt L. Tompkins, 49, of St. Albans, charged with burglary and theft between Nov. 1, 2010, and Dec. 31, 2010, in St. Albans, and with theft by deception between April 1, 2011, and April 20, 2011, in Palmyra.
* Jessica J. Salisbury, 34, of Solon, charged with two counts of possession of scheduled drugs, May 29 in Solon.
* Jennifer G. Beane, 27, of Bingham, charged with theft, June 12 in Bingham.
* Dennis J. Peters, 49, of Madison, charged with aggravated marijuana cultivation and marijuana cultivation, April 21 in Madison.
* Mark E. Dodge, 37, of Anson, charged with assault and domestic violence assault, July 31 in Anson.
* Matthew D. Calhoun, 21, of Dexter, charged with theft, Jan. 14 in Skowhegan.
Doug Harlow -- 612-2367