Saturday, March 8, 2014
KENNEBEC COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT
By Betty Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnathan R. Scott, 35, of Leeds, faces 10 counts of theft by unauthorized taking, five counts of criminal trespass, three counts of criminal mischief and two counts of burglary in the case of thefts at building supply sites and lumber yards June 1, 2009, to Sept. 22, 2009, in Gardiner, Augusta and Monmouth.
An indictment is not a determination of guilt but is an indication that sufficient evidence is present to proceed with formal charges and a trial.
Scott was one of four people arrested Sept. 22, 2009, when a police officer stopped a vehicle hauling a trailer with a flat tire. The trailer was full of new asphalt shingles.
Also arrested were George R. Higgins, 43, and Keith R. Laney II, 36, both of Augusta; and Martha E. Bergeron, 30, of Sidney.
Higgins pleaded guilty and was sentenced in February to 10 years in prison, with all but 30 months suspended and three years' probation.
Bergeron and Laney pleaded guilty in March to theft by unauthorized taking, criminal trespass and criminal mischief related to the Sept. 22, 2009, late-night theft of a pallet of roofing shingles from Lapointe Lumber in Gardiner.
Bergeron was sentenced in March to three years in jail, all but 14 months suspended and two years' probation.
Laney was sentenced in March to two years in jail, with all but 90 days suspended and two years' probation. He was ordered to pay up to $500 restitution for the fence.
The shingles were returned.
A number of other people were indicted last week in unrelated cases by a grand jury in Kennebec County:
* Joshua P. Arbour, 29, of Augusta, burglary, theft by unauthorized taking and criminal mischief April 5 in Rome.
* Chad Everett Brann, 26, of Augusta, unauthorized use of property May 28, 2009, in Winslow.
* Lorraine M. Conlogue, 26, of Livermore Falls, operating after revocation Nov. 9, 2009, in Waterville.
* Joel E. Cushing, 26, of Winslow, domestic violence assault, obstructing report of crime or injury, two counts of violation of condition of release, March 27 to April 29 in Waterville and Augusta.
* James M. Derosier, 24, of Benton, gross sexual assault between Dec. 30, 2009, and Feb. 11, 2010, in Waterville.
* Vincent Groves, 19, of Clinton; burglary, theft by unauthorized taking and criminal mischief between Nov. 25, 2009, and Nov. 29, 2009, all in Clinton.
* Nathan J. Hansell, 28, of Augusta, theft by unauthorized taking, criminal trespass and leaving the scene, all March 22 in Gardiner.
* Raymond L. Higgins, 55, of Wayne, two counts of aggravated trafficking in scheduled drugs, one count each of aggravated unlawful furnishing of scheduled drugs, unlawful possession of scheduled drugs and criminal forfeiture of $2,748, all March 15 in Wayne.
* Heywood L. Hinds, 46, of Mount Vernon, arson Feb. 25 and domestic violence terrorizing Feb. 24, both in Mount Vernon.
* Lance R. Huff, 33, of Waterville, aggravated criminal trespass, assault, criminal threatening and terrorizing, all Jan. 8 in Waterville.
* Ricky Allen Lane, 23, of Oakland, assault Oct. 11, 2009, in Augusta.
* Nixon A. Louis, 40, of Manchester, Conn., unlawful trafficking of scheduled drugs, unlawful possession of scheduled drugs, and criminal forfeiture of $840 in cash, Jan. 6 and Jan. 7 in Waterville.
* Thaddeus P. McDonald Jr., 31, of Augusta, aggravated forgery and violation of sex offender registration, both Dec. 28, 2009, in Augusta.
* Shawn M. Merrill, 24, of Augusta, two counts each of burglary and theft by unauthorized taking and one count each of robbery and criminal mischief between March 28 and April 5 in Rome.
* Lucas E. Parlin, 30, of Litchfield, unlawful trafficking of scheduled drugs, violation of condition of release, and two counts of marijuana cultivation between Oct. 23, 2008 and Feb. 12, 2010, in Litchfield.
* Randy A. Ruest, 18, of Waterville, unlawful sexual contact March 21 in Waterville.
* James L. Welch, 34, of Waterville, burglary and theft by unauthorized taking, both Jan. 29 in Waterville.
* John W. Wilkinson, 31, of Augusta, burglary, domestic violence assault, assault, criminal mischief and aggravated criminal mischief, all Oct. 7, 2009, in Augusta.
* Lacey E. Wilson, 24, of Vassalboro, two counts of unlawful trafficking of scheduled drugs, one involving OxyContin June 16, 2009, and one involving Vicodin, June 18, 2009, both in Waterville; and one count of failure to appear Nov. 10, 2009, in Augusta.
Betty Adams -- 621-5631