Wednesday, April 23, 2014
By Angela Delli Santi
The Associated Press
TRENTON, N.J. — The Democratic mayor of a town severely flooded by Superstorm Sandy said Sunday that she was told an ultimatum tying recovery funds to her support for a prime real estate project came directly from Gov. Chris Christie, a claim a Christie spokesman called “categorically false.”
In this Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2014 file photo, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie arrives to deliver his State Of The State address at the Statehouse in Trenton, N.J.
The Associated Press
Later on Sunday, Zimmer said she met with the U.S. attorney for New Jersey for hours Sunday and turned over a journal and other documents.
Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer told CNN’s “State of the Union with Candy Crowley” that the message pushing a Rockefeller Group commercial development was delivered by Christie’s lieutenant governor, Kim Guadagno, when the two were at an event in Hoboken in May to celebrate the opening of a new supermarket.
“The lieutenant governor pulled me aside and said, essentially, ‘You’ve got to move forward with the Rockefeller project. This project is really important to the governor.’ And she said that she had been with him on Friday night and that this was a direct message from the governor,” Zimmer recalled Guadagno saying.
Christie spokesman Colin Reed issued a statement Sunday saying, “Mayor Zimmer’s categorization about her conversation in Hoboken is categorically false.”
On Saturday, Zimmer said Guadagno and a top community development official separately told her that recovery funds would flow to her city if she expedited the project.
Hoboken, a low-lying city of 50,000 across from Manhattan, was nearly swallowed by the Hudson River during Sandy, with three of its electrical substations and most of its firehouses flooded, businesses and homes submerged, the train station inundated with water, and people trapped in high-rises because elevators didn’t work and lobbies were underwater. Zimmer has proposed a comprehensive flood mitigation plan and has applied for $100 million in grants to help make it happen.
Zimmer said she didn’t reveal the conversation with Guadagno until now because she feared no one would believe her.
But, with Hoboken having received just $342,000 out of $1.8 billion in Sandy recovery aid from the state in the first funding round, she said, she is speaking out in hopes her city won’t be shut out in a second funding wave, when the state is due to disperse $1.4 billion. Hoboken has also received millions in federal aid.
Zimmer said another member of Christie’s administration, Community Affairs Commissioner Richard Constable, approached her later in May to reiterate what the lieutenant governor had said.
Lisa Ryan, a spokesman for Constable, said Zimmer’s claim was false.