February 26, 2013


By Bill Stewart bstewart@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

HALLOWELL – Matt Brooks thought about coming off for a line change but then changed his mind. 

click image to enlarge

Cony's Dallas Clark, center, gets past Brunswick defenseman Tyler Sullivan, left, to shoot and score on Brunswick keeper Blake Alexander to tie the score 1-1 in first period of a hockey playoff game on Tuesday February 26, 2013 at the Bank of Maine Ice Vault in Hallowell.

Staff photo by Joe Phelan

“I was originally coming off but then I got a good pass off the boards and decided to shoot it,” the Brunswick sophomore forward said.


It was a good decision – at least for No. 5 Dragons.


Brooks scored a minute into double overtime to give Brunswick a 3-2 victory over No. 4 Cony in a wild Eastern A quarterfinal game Tuesday night at the Bank of Maine Ice Vault.


The goal catapulted the Dragons (11-7-1) into the regional semifinals Saturday at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston.


Cony, which forced overtime when Tyler Leet scored with 23 seconds left in regulation, finished 11-5-3.


“I thought in OT we had our chances,” Cony coach Chad Foye said. “We just couldn't finish. These guys worked so hard all year. It's tough to see them like this now.”


The Rams were accustomed to erasing third-period deficits, particularly down the stretch this season.


They staged another rally before a lively crowd at the Vault when Leet scored from out front, but this time it wasn't quite enough.


Cony rallied from a 2-0 deficit to tie Brunswick 2-2 in a regular season game Jan. 21.


“We knew it was going to be close,” said Brunswick coach Mike Routhier, whose team improved to 4-0-1 in overtime. “We were a little sloppy in the first overtime, and we thought we needed to get a jump on them in the second one.”


The Dragons did just that.


Brooks took a pass from, Kyle Woodruff and, with a defender in front of him, beat Cony goalie Tommy Small with a shot over the pads from the top of the circle.


“I was trying to get the puck between the (defenseman's) leg and put it right on net,” Brooks said. “When it went in, I didn't even know what to do.”


Brooks sent the Dragons home a winner when he beat Cony goalie Tommy Small with a low shot to the


Leet, a senior, scored with 23 seconds left in regulation with goalie Small pulled in favor of the extra attacker to send the game into overtime.


“We just didn't panic,” Foye said. “We kept coming back.”

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)

High School Football 2013

Fall Sports 2012

Purchase Photos

Find more photos >>