January 16

HIGH SCHOOL BOYS HOCKEY: Winslow beats Waterville in overtime

Raiders beat Panthers in rough game between rivals.

By Bill Stewart bstewart@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

WINSLOW — For two periods Wednesday night the Waterville and Winslow hockey teams played an up and down game, traded goals and big saves.

Things changed in the third.

Tensions boiled over in a physical final period, with an altercation that ultimately led to three ejections.

The emotional and hard-hitting game, which riled a large Sukee Arena crowd, came to an end midway through overtime, when Jacob Larsen scored his third goal of the game to give Winslow a wild 4-3 victory.

Winslow (5-3-0) trailed 3-2 before Larsen scored with 4:07 left in the third to pull the teams even.

And then things got ugly.

With time winding down in regulation, a collision occurred at the Winslow net. Some pushing followed.

Before the referees could interject, an altercation ensued as helmets and sticks went flying over the ice.

When order was restored, Winslow goalie Andrew Beals and Waterville’s Dalton Henderson and Todd Serbent were ejected.

The Raiders ended up with a 5-minute major power play, and they took advantage of the extra attacker in overtime when Larsen beat Waterville goalie Kaleb Kane through the pads with a little more than two minutes left.

The teams were tied 2-2 after two periods but Waterville (5-3-1) pulled ahead when Tommy Samson scored just 44 seconds into the third.

Waterville scored two unanswered power-play goals to grab a 2-1 lead in the second period.

Dalton Denis pulled the Panthers even at 1-1 when he took a nice pass from Chris Lee at the back post and buried the puck past Kane with 7:09 left in the second.

The Panthers went ahead 2-1 about four minutes later, when Henderson converted a rebound off a Zach Disch shot from the right point.

It stayed 2-1 until Jacob Larsen scored with 19.3 seconds left to tie it up for Winslow.

Winslow struggled with the relentless Waterville forecheck early.

The Purple Panthers, who often pressured as many three players in the offensive zone, kept the Raiders on their heels for much of the first period.

However, it would be the Raiders who would break through first.

Alex Berard, a junior forward, stole the puck behind the Waterville net, curled out front and then slipped a shot through the pads of goalie Kaleb Kane to give the Raiders a 1-0 lead with 5:49 left in the first.

The Panthers had opportunities to tie it in the closing minutes of the period.

Waterville freshman Andrew Roderigue had a great bid with 2:09 left in the period, when he came charging down the slot with room to move, but Winslow forward Jacob Grenier made a nice defensive play to force a wide shot.

Bill Stewart — 621-5640bstewart@centralmaine.comTwitter: @billstewartkj

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at OnlineSentinel.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)

High School Football 2013

Fall Sports 2012

Purchase Photos

Find more photos >>